Thursday, September 27, 2007

Another step closer

Tonight marks the end of another session of classes and I am one more step closer to finishing my bachelors. After a break next week I will be starting Object oriented programming 2 and discrete math. I'm looking forward to both and I'm hoping the programming class is a little more challenging than the last. Since I have a decent amount of experience in VB, object oriented programming isn't really new to me and I was able to breeze through the class without any problems. I'm hoping the next will cover something more advanced and I can learn something new. It's doubtful, but I'm an optimist.

I watched the Hot Rod TV today on ESPN2 because they were supposed to show a Faro in use during the build of a car. From what I saw, that's all they did was show it being used in the background. No mention of what they were doing with it or that it was even a measuring device! I know they spend allot of money building these cars, but you think if they have close to $200,000 of equipment in use you might want to mention what you are using it for. Ah well, at least it wasn't a Romer. :)

On a related note, I saw the new Faro Quantum arm on the website this week. Very cool! I will definitely be trying to get one if we need another arm. 30% more accurate, bluetooth communication, probe recognition and a sleep mode. The bluetooth and sleep mode should help with battery life over the Romer Infinite arm. However, I do find the call and response between Faro and Romer a little humorous. Romer releases an arm with wifi wireless, Faro uses bluetooth a year or so later. Faro released a small arm with simplified software (the Faro Gage), and now I saw on the Romer site the other day they are releasing a 4ft arm for measurement at the machine. I'm just curious to see what the next truly 'new' idea will be.

No comments: